Built by Peckettt and Son Ltd of Bristol in 1926 to works order no. 1722, Rocket was employed by the Courtaulds Co. Ltd at Coventry. It remained there throughout its working life and eventually found itself as part of the private “Shropshire Collection” near Shrewsbury. This collection was sold “en mass” to the S & D Co. Ltd, who had Rocket restored to operating status by 2003.
After only three trial steamings, 1722 was brought to Telford and put straight into passenger service. Rocket has since had a ten year overhaul and continues to be the main service loco on regular steaming days.
Rocket is now owned by the railway following a bequest by a long term member who had known the loco in industrial use at Courtaulds. The money was sufficient for the deposit towards a short term Hire Purchase agreement – the first time the company had ever had a loan secured by a steam locomotive!