Built by the North British Locomotive Co. Ltd in 1954 as a demonstrator for its Paxman V6 turbo engine, it entered service at GKN Sankey in Hadley, Telford. It must have been popular as it remained there until being donated to the Steam Trust in the early 1980’s. It acquired the name Tom after a Managing Director of Sankeys, Tom Honess.
Toms claim to fame must undoubtedly be in February 1961 it hauled the Royal Train! This occurred when the train was being stabled in Wellington overnight and the experimental train loco failed. 27414 and another Sankey locomotive then moved the train onto the Wellington to Stafford line where it was left overnight guarded by soldiers!
The loco is now owned by three TSR of members and has undergone significant restoration in recent years. The original engine was life expired and after consideration being given to a replacement Paxman unit it was decided to re-fit Tom with a Rolls Royce engine. Extensive modifications to mounting and transmission were carried out, along with re-wiring and piping. Tom Re-entered service early 2014 and is soon to be fitted with vacuum equipment for passenger use, followed by a full repaint.