Built by R & W Hawthorne Leslie & Co. Ltd in 1917 as works no. 3240 for Bolckow Vaughan & Co. Ltd, steel makers in Middlesbrough. The company gave all its locos patriotic names, Beatty after national navel hero Admiral Sir David Beatty. Eventually Beatty was bought as a museum exhibit, but due to space limitations was stored out of view for thirty years, until her current owner brought her to Telford. She is now stripped completely with the aim of long term restoration.