Built in 1940, vehicles of this style were coded “Toad” by the Great Western Railway and were used extensively throughout their system as freight brake vans.  Evidence shows that on the steeply graded lines that are now TSR, it was not uncommon for one of these Toads to be marshalled at either end of lose-coupled freight trains, for additional braking.

This example was bought for TSR directly from British Rail at Wimbledon, London and transferred by rail to Wellington and then by road to Horsehay.

It is in fully operational condition in BR (Western) brown livery and is used on all our loco hauled passenger trains.


Share Page

TSR Newsletter

Sign up to our newsletter for updates and event information!

Newsletter