From 1958 to 1961 Derby Works built over three hundred and thirty units, eventually classed as 108. Using aluminium in their construction and the lack of asbestos for insulation, led to many units surviving long enough to enter preservation.
Our set is made up of DMBS 51950 and DMCL 52062 which were withdrawn together as a pair in 1991 and preserved at the Gloucester and Warwickshire Railway where they were used off peak for about ten years. Following time out of use, the current owners bought the pair and relocated them to Telford for extensive restoration and return to service. This work has included overhaul and re-fitting of engines, replacement of rusted body panels, servicing of brake system, waterproofing and refurbishing the interior. The most transforming feature however was the decision to repaint the unit in BR Chocolate and Cream livery, similar to a number of DMUs celebrating GWR anniversaries. The unit was honoured with coming second in the 2014 DMU Railcar of the Year Awards, a fitting tribute to the hard work of its two owners.
The pair can be found operating on some Diesel Days and also on peak steam events as hauled stock.